-Content Expert LaQuita Montgomery
Positive behavior support should maximize the strengths and autonomy of the people in need of support and their caregivers and staff. The strategies selected should be relevant to assessments conducted and fit the settings and circumstances. The ultimate value of any support practice is its impact on behavior and quality of life.
Checking for Person-Centered Practices
- Person-Centered Practices Self-Assessment - Mary Lou Bourne for the National Association for State Directors of Developmental Disability Services (2022). This Self-Assessment is designed to help leadership at human service agencies in States, Tribes, and Territories to measure their progress in developing a more person-centered system.
- Progress for Providers: Checking your progress in using person-centered approaches. Helen Sanderson and Associates for USA Managers (2019). This resource is a practical self-assessment tool for managers and team leaders to use individually and with teams. The person-centered approaches outlined in each section represent suggested steps taken by many organizations to create environments in which people can thrive, employees as well as people who receive long term services and supports (free).
- Five Competency Domains for Staff who Facilitate Person-Centered Planning - Tondora, J., Croft, B., Kardell, Y., Camacho-Gonsalves, T., & Kwak, M. (2020). This resource describes five skill areas, or domains, that facilitators should possess to support a fully person-centered planning process (free).
- Communication-Based Intervention for Problem Behavior - Carr et al. (1994). Easy-to-read guide on function-based intervention to promote communication as an alternative to problem behavior (for purchase).
- Avoiding Power Struggles
- Choice and Preference
- Household Organization
- Successful Transitions
- Medical Appointments
- Finding Common Ground
- Morning Routines
- Compendium of Resources for Positive Behavior Support: A guide for behavior support practitioners (2019). Comprehensive guide published by NDIS Quality Safeguards Commission in Australia. This guide contains assessment forms and checklists (free).
- Routine Based Plan. Format for designing interventions within natural daily routines based on behavioral function (free).
- Sample Hypotheses and Interventions - Hieneman (2012). Planning tool for designing proactive, teaching, and management strategies based on behavioral function (free).
- Behavior Planning Worksheet. Tool for documenting PBS process and summarizing intervention and tracking strategies (free).
- It's My Choice - Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilities (2017) - A book of checklists and planning sheets for people to use to empower life decision making using positive supports (free).
- PBS in Practice - Rehabilitation Research & Training Center on Positive Behavior Support.
- Providing Positive Behavioural Support: A Checklist for Service Providers - PBS Academy (2016). A checklist for community based service providers to check their use of PBS and develop a plan to improve their implementation efforts (free).
- Functional Assessment and Program Development, 3rd Edition - O'Neill et al. (2014). Comprehensive guide for professionals designing function-based interventions in the community that includes assessment and intervention forms (for purchase).
- PBS: An Individualized Approach to Challenging Behavior - CSEFEL (2015. What Works Brief training kit including presentations, speaker notes, and activities to teach people about PBS.
- Proactive Strategies Planning Worksheet.
- Reinforcement Strategies Planning Worksheet
- Reactive Strategies Planning Worksheet