-Content Expert Scott Shepard
Positive behavior support is essential to help people with behavioral challenges gain and retain meaningful employment, live independently, and live full lives. As with all applications of positive behavior support, practices focus on:
- Collaboration with employers, coworkers, patrons, staff, families, and professionals,
- Comprehensive support plans that fit within settings,
- An emphasis on quality of life for all involved,
- Assessing people’s skills, work requirements, and other factors that could affect success, and
- Ongoing data-based monitoring to ensure success including job satisfaction and home life quality.
In this section you will find literature focused on implementing positive behavior support in competitive and supported employment environments, as well as vocational and other training programs (e.g., university-based) that assist people in working. We have also included literature on supporting people in the home and other places within the community.
- A Positive Behavioural Support Model for Breaking the Barriers to Social and Community Inclusion - LaVigna & Willis (2005). A study on a framework for removing barriers to full inclusion of adults with developmental disabilities that engage in challenging behavior (free).
- An Evaluation of Positive Behavioural Support for People with Very Severe Challenging Behaviours in Community-Based Settings - McClean, Grey, & McCracken (2007). A study on a framework for supporting adults living together in a community setting aimed at reducing challenging behavior while increasing the person's quality of life (free).
- Positive Behavior Support: Including People with Difficult Behavior in the Community - Koegel, Koegel, & Dunlap (1996). First book defining PBS as an approach to support people's challenging behavior in inclusive settings (for purchase).
- Using positive behavioural support as a treatment for trauma symptoms with a man with intellectual disabilities Peter Langdon, Daniel Dalton, Kate Brolly, Philip Temple, Clare Thomas & Tara Webster (2017). A unique study on the use of positive behavior support as a treatment delivery method to address trauma symptoms (free).
- Active Aging for Individuals with Intellectual Disability: Meaningful Community Participation Through Employment, Retirement, Service, and Volunteerism - Fesko, S .L, Hall, A. C., Quinlan, J., & Jockell, C. (2012). This paper summarizes issues to consider when engaged in retirement planning with individuals with developmental disabilities. Recommendations for policy makers, service providers, and researchers is presented (free).
- Functional Analysis and Treatment of Problem Behavior of Elderly Adults in Long-Term Care - Dwyer-Moore, K.J. & Dixon, M.R. (2007) (free).
- Leisure Education and Later-Life Planning: A Conceptual Framework - Jennifer Mactavish and Michael J. Mahon (2005). Issues with an aging population are explored along with methods to support later life leisure skill development (free).
- Designing and Evaluating Assessment-Based Interventions to Reduce Stereotypy Among Adults with Autism in a Community Job - Reid, D. Hl, Parson, M. B., & Lattimore, L. P. (2010). An example where functional analysis and positive behavior support interventions resulted in increased work behaviors for adults diagnosed with autism (free).
- Preparing Transition-Age Students with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorders for Meaningful Work - Gloria Lee and Erik Carter (2012). This paper summarizes several methods of transition to work that impacted successful long term employment for adults diagnosed with autism (available for purchase).
- Project SEARCH for Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Increasing Competitive Employment on Transition from High School - Wehman. P; Schall, C.; McDonough, J.; Molinelli, A.; Riehle, E.; Ham, W. & Thiss, W.R. (2012). Two case studies are described where the Project SEARCH model was applied to support finding employment (free).
- The RENEW Model: Supporting Transition-Age
Youth With Emotional and Behavioral Challenges - JoAnne M. Malloy (2013) (free).